Monday, February 23, 2015

Preliminary Project and Canvassing - Monday, February 23, 2015

Before my work in the Tucson City Council building began, Mayor Rothschild assigned me a preliminary task. Through making use of the Arizona Daily Star archives, particularly the Business section, I was to find and list all new or expanding companies in Pima County from December 2011 through December 2014. The results were encouraging, with thousands of jobs in a wide variety of industries being created.

However, as I begin my on-site work with the Mayor's office, it seems as though my project's focus will be a bit different than what Mayor Rothschild initially envisioned. Working with my new project advisor, Mr. Ryan Anderson, I believe the new focus will be on community engagement rather than business interaction.

This new angle presented opportunities almost immediately. Sunday, February 22, I went canvassing to get the mayor back on the ballot for re-election later this year (I have been told it is Arizona State Law that a candidate, regardless of incumbency, must gather a minimum of 2,200 signatures to get his or her name on the next election ballot). Although frustrating at times, it was a tremendous experience, and I hope to canvas again in the near future. It is not only an opportunity to do work for Mayor Rothschild, but also a time to listen to the thoughts and concerns of his constituents.

Today marks the first on-site day of my internship. I look forward to seeking out ways to continue and strengthen my involvement in the Tucson community, and I have no doubt that my work in the coming weeks will help me do just that.

Thanks for reading!

Jacob

2 comments:

  1. Personally, I think this is more interesting than the statistical accumulation and analysis that you originally anticipated. It sounds as if you will actually meet some live persons. Who is Ryan Anderson, and what is his position within the city government?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dr. Zellmer! Thank you for your question.
      First off, Ryan Anderson is the Planning, Transportation, and Sustainability Policy Advisor for Mayor Rothschild. Second, I would agree with you--meeting and talking to people is always interesting, whether it's in a neighborhood or making phone calls.

      Delete